Thursday, 13 April 2017

A little more time for experimentation

   Although I'd always knit and sewn for my dolls ( up until my late teens ) all my efforts were rather basic ( elasticated waist skirts and ribbon strap tops sewn by hand ) and over the years I've carried on with some knitting for my children and grandchildren, but with little time for leisure, it was never very much. Now I have ample time on my hands, and with Ezri's help, I am going to do more!
   This week I have fashioned another pair of trousers. They are very simple in style, with a couple of darts for shaping and a waistband rather than elastic. I made them from a James Pringle cotton/linen shirt that my husband had outgrown! I added a few of the buttons for decoration too. I think next time I will shave about 1cm off the pattern to make them a little narrower. I mentioned last week that I was experimenting with shapes and pleats using patchwork fabric. I made a smock with ruffly sleeves and a mock button-band ( inspired by some of the wonderful creations I have seen on other blogs ) I made the mock button-band separately and stitched it on, but I wonder if it could be done all-in-one, like a box pleat. My creations are far from perfect, but I am very happy with them. The colour of the smock also goes well with the new wig. I'm getting used to it now and resist trying to do anything with it as it just makes it frizzier!
   I feel a bit of knitting coming on next!
...and other musings
   The warm spring weather has given way to cool, wet and windy. However, this hasn't deterred us from getting out in the garden and preparing the veg beds for this years planting. We got 800kg of top soil ( all in 20kg bags, so no heavy shovelling and no mess! ) to refresh all the beds, the herb bed and the greenhouse beds. Now we wait until the seedlings are big enough and strong enough to go out.

6 comments:

  1. Did you design these patterns yourself? They've very good and the buttons as finishing touches work well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, the pattern is not mine. I subscribed to Phoebe&Egg. If you don't know it you can go into the blog section and subscribe and a collection of patterns will be sent to your email, free. There is also a step by step photo tutorial in the 'doll dressmaking series'. As I had not done any doll clothes sewing for many years, since my teens, I had to start from the very basics and relearn with 'teaching a child to sew'! My husband printed the pattern pieces onto sticky back paper and I stuck them onto cardboard. I bought pins, a couple of pieces of new quilting fabric, new thread and new scissors and my first attempts were quite dismal. It was a lot harder than I thought it would be! I also got my very first sewing machine in February, a Brother LS14 and it is fantastic! I also bought proper dress fabric too and the green flowery dress in my first post is the first successful dress I made using my machine! I still have a lot to learn, but it's such fun and I love it!

      Delete
  2. I love the orange top! It is very nice indeed and looks great on her. I have heard good things about the PhoebeandEgg patterns and thought I'd subscribed, but haven't seen anything come through for a while, so must check.

    Keep enjoying the sewing.

    Isn't it good to get back out in the garden again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm enjoying getting into sewing for Ezri. I had to start from the very basics. From sewing straight lines of running stitch on my quilts to shapes and curves, and turning and folding and learning to use my new machine. All very exciting! :)

      Delete
  3. She looks very smart in orange! I also like her unruly hair - have you tried a drop of argan oil to tame it a little? It worked miracles on my Pippa.
    Love the fitted trousers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I've had a lot of great suggestions for taming the wig LOL I will try some of the suggestions and see what happens :)

      Delete