Thursday, 27 April 2017

Ezri chooses the fabrics for her quilt

   The cold weather has continued this week and, despite the blue skies and sunshine, that north wind is bitterly cold. So Ezri and I decided to stay indoors where it's warm and make a start on her quilt. The first job was the hardest- choosing the fabrics. I have a big bag of leftover bits and as Ezri's quilt won't take much fabric there was sure to be something in there. Ezri had a good root through the bag. Decisions, decisions...

It was very difficult deciding which colours she wanted and which fabric patterns she liked best

Pretty flowers

This one's interesting with the hands and hearts

This will go nice with the other two

After what seemed like hours, Ezri finally decided on the colours she liked best. Russet, gold, cream and navy

   Now I get the fun bit. I sketched a quick idea for a simple strip quilt and I've decided to have a go at piecing this one entirely by machine. I haven't used my machine a great deal, so this will be good practice. This is also the smallest quilting project I have attempted. It'll be about 48cm x 36cm. My previous smallest quilting project was a wall hanging for a golden anniversary that was 60cm x 60cm.


                 


16 comments:

  1. Lovely colours she has chosen, please also post photos of the quilt 'in progress' which is always a lot of fun. I must make some more doll quilts, they are very enjoyable. I have a load of partially joined 1 inch hexagons which will make a nice quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. Great idea about photos as we progress. Since we started it on Tuesday ( I only want to do 1 post a week on a Thursday ) I have pieced the top. It is 36cm x 50cm and as it is strip quilt it was very quick to do. I used my machine and it's good practice as I am very slow with it yet. I will take a photo of the top and add it to the post x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ezri obviously has an eye for colour. How great she'll have her own quilt to snuggle into.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) I actually thought she would have chosen blues to match her eyes. The colours do look very nice together though and the quilt is progressing nicely. I haven't had chance to do any today, but I'm hoping to start quilting the top tomorrow :)

      Delete
  4. No time like the present - idea last week now acting upon it. I like her choice of colours. you do realise she will ask for a bed for the quilt when it is complete, unless she plans to use it for picnics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, and I have seen the very bed too! It's the 'Ana White doll farmhouse bed' I'm trying to persuade my husband to make it! I enjoyed doing this little photo-shoot with Ezri. The first of many I hope. I enjoy patchwork, but I don't seem to do enough of it! I'm hoping to find time to start quilting the top tomorrow, Hmmm, a picnic rug :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ezri has made a good selection of the fabric. I look forward to seeing her new quilt once it's made. It's certainly been cold enough for quilt making!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you. There will be photos soon. That wind has dropped today, but it is cloudy with outbreaks of rain. Shopping and housework, then hopefully start the quilting this afternoon :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's been chilly where we are too. Great fabric choices! I can't wait to see the finished product.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you. I like the choices too. The top is now being quilted. I'm doing this one by machine. I've only ever hand quilted before and I love the machine quilted effect. I'm taking photos as I go :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I should have read this post before the later one....but still, it's nice to see Ezri choosing her fabrics, even though I know how lovely it came out :)
    x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you. I enjoyed doing the little photo-shoot. I have not done a lot with Ezri as I had forgotten how to 'play' with dolls, but all the lovely Sasha and doll blogs have reminded me how to play again! I love it. Quilting and knitting have been my thing, but I'm getting into proper sewing now :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. You did a fantastic staging the photos in this posting. Well done, you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you. I enjoyed doing it. It took a while, but it was more fun with Ezri helping to choose than just choosing them on my own. It's wonderful learning how to play with dolls again :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're having fun! "Never too old" I say or "If not now, then when?"

      Delete
  14. Sorry for late reply. Yes, I'm certainly reliving my childhood and having a great deal of fun. You're right, we should never feel to old to enjoy ourselves and play. It is certainly a great stress reliever too :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for visiting and please leave a comment :)