Thursday, 4 May 2017

Ezri's quilt is finished

   Ezri's new quilt is finally finished! It was quite a new experience making one entirely by machine, but it was good practice. I rather liked the machine quilting; it was very quick and it gives a denser effect to the top. I did make a boo-boo though. I normally use wool or cotton batting in my quilting projects, but as this was so small and I didn't want to buy a large piece to cut into; I bought a 1/2m sq of polyester wadding. I think this made it rather stiff and I won't be using it again! I washed it and used fabric softener so hopefully it will soften with time. Not one of my best, but it's OK and I think Ezri is happy with it. I said I would take some photos as I went along. As I had already pieced the top by last week's post the photos start from the quilt ready for quilting

The simple lattice design with the wadding and backing tacked together
I thought navy thread would work well in this design
After machine quilting
                                                                        Close up
The pieced binding
One side bound, three to go
All finished

 ...and other musings
   The weather has turned warm and sunny again this week and we have been out in the garden as much as possible. The weeding seems an endless chore. However, the potatoes, peas, carrots, swede, beetroot, courgettes, onions and kale are now in the veg beds. The tomatoes already have flowers and the beans are going in next week






12 comments:

  1. The quilt looks great, makes me want to go back to quilting!

    I need to get some of our vege seeds planted...sounds like you are on the ball.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) I really want to make another now! But I think Ezri needs a new dress first. Yes, our veggies are doing great and there is still much more to do. My husband does most of the heavy work in the garden and I do the prettying-up. I have the plans and he tries his best to make them work. We're a great team :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great quilt ! I love how you have linked the edging to the patterned strips.
    Sounds like the veg patch is striving ! We plan on putting in some cut and come again lettuce, to go with our tomato and sweet peppers, so we can get some salad items whenever we need them through the summer... well thats the plan... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We do a lot of salad too although my husband is more the salad eater than I am. I love tomatoes and peppers, but not a big fan of cucumber or lettuce. We have 7 veg beds. For 2 of us this keeps us in fresh salad and veg all year :)

      Delete
  4. It looks wonderful. I love the colors and pattern.
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It was fun to make, but I must find time for the big Mary's Patch I'm working on :)

      Delete
  5. The navy thread was definitely the right choice for the quilting and the pieced binding is an excellent finish to the design. It is such a lovely combination of colours.
    I need to get back into my garden this weekend to battle the weeds, the lawn edges have crept into the borders over winter...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have been tackling the wild, overgrown bushes and the couch grass in the borders is such a pain! We have grown lots of plants from seed and we have put them in the front garden. We collect the seeds ( though we don't keep a check what they are ) then we plant them in the greenhouse and see what comes up! It's always a lovely surprise :)

      Delete
  6. Well done! Ezri seems absolutely happy with her lovely new quilt,and your machine stitching is very neat. I love the colour combination.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I enjoyed making it. I've only had my machine for a few months and I did enjoy the machine quilting :) I'm trying to persuade my husband to make Ezri a wooden bed. I've seen one I like :) x

      Delete
  7. What a lovely quilt, you have me thinking I might do one for my dolls too....well once I get the list of 'to do' things down a bit!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love quilting and this is my first machine piece. I also now have a long 'to do' list! I made a boo-boo by using polyester wadding, so next time I will use wool or cotton as I usually do. I'm still waiting for my husband to make Ezri a bed, but at the moment the garden is taking up all our time :)

    ReplyDelete

Hello, thanks for visiting and please leave a comment :)